When there are one or more serious injuries in a car accident, the sheer shock and amount of activity can be difficult to deal with. Unless you are an emergency responder yourself, you will be quickly overwhelmed by the sights, sounds and activity after a major accident. Learning what to do after fatal car accidents can help you protect your rights and make sure that you have the best possible outcome.
What to do After a Serious Car Wreck
- Call for help: Immediately dial 911 to let rescue and emergency personnel know that an accident has occurred with serious injuries. Even if you think someone else has already called, call again. The faster help arrives, the better it will be for the victims of serious, possibly fatal car accidents.
- Move the vehicles if you can safely do so. Once anyone who has been injured has been safely removed from the wreckage and the police have documented the scene, move the vehicles off of the roadway to prevent further accidents or injuries.
- Don’t admit fault: A car accident is stressful, and one with a possible fatality can be even more so. However, it is important you make sure you never admit fault for the accident. The incident could have had a variety of causes you are not aware of, accepting blame at the scene will simply make it more difficult for you and your attorney later.
- Get contact information: Collect the names, addresses and contact information of the parties involved in the accident and anyone who stopped to help because they witnessed the crash. You may need to call on these people later to support your claim.
- Never settle or sign anything without an attorney: In an accident with significant injuries or fatalities, insurance adjusters may attempt to get you to agree to a settlement amount or waive your rights. The extent of your injuries may not be immediately apparent and, just after an accident, you are likely not going to be ready to make any decisions. Wait for your attorney to arrive to help guide you through the process.
If you’ve been injured in a serious car wreck, an attorney specializing in fatal car accidents can help protect your rights and help you claim the compensation you deserve. To learn more about your options, contact the Law Office of Eric Beasley today.